Los Angeles County Supervisor Hilda L. Solis issued the following statement in response to COVID-19 outbreaks at three food facilities in the First District resulting in mandatory closures of the businesses:
“Essential workers keep our economy moving, our shelves stocked with food, our hospitals clean — and they continue to do honorable work. I urge employers to review guidance from the Department of Public Health so they can fulfill their duty to their workers to keep them safe and healthy. If violations result, businesses can be shuttered and, beginning at the end of August, non-complaint businesses will be issued fines ranging from $100 for the first offense to $500 and a 30-day permit suspension after multiple offenses. Please visit publichealth.lacounty.gov for more information about the necessary health and safety protocols businesses are required to follow.
“I also want to encourage employees to take advantage of the following resources for themselves and their families. LA County is here to serve you, and I hope you will consider reaching out if any of our County Departments can be of assistance to you during this health crisis.”
Here are available County resources:
• Call 888-700-9995 to report unsafe work conditions (reports will be anonymous and there will be no questions about personal information, including immigration status);
• Visit covid19.lacounty.gov/testing to make an appointment for testing (employers should be offering testing to employees in outbreak situations);
• Call 800-854-7771 for the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health’s 24/7 helpline to receive mental health support, resources, and referrals;
• Find a food pantry near you at lafoodbank.org/find-food/pantry-locator;
• Visit lacountyhelpcenter.org for information about economic relief programs, the County’s eviction moratorium, paid sick leave, and other resources for workers and businesses, and
• For the above and additional resources, you can also call 2-1-1 for more information.
Contact: Rosa Maria Santana, Deputy Communications Director, firstname.lastname@example.org